Mr Leo Billington - Chair of the Hazelwood Cemetery Trust - 21/2/2016
HAZELWOOD PUBLIC CEMETERY
Established in 1879, currently 4500 internments arranged in sections;
Religious Denominations, Children's Garden, Remembrance Garden, Non Denominational Monumental and Lawn sections.
Burial plots and Remembrance garden niches are purchased in perpetuity with no time limit or extra payments for extensions on sites.
To View Monument
click on photo
Cemetery Avenue Hazelwood between the Hazelwood Power Station and the Hazelwood Pondage.Entry via SECURITY GATES on Cemetery Avenue.
From Morwell turn right off Monash Way towards the Hazelwood Power Station. Continue on Brodribb Road past the Power Station then turn right onto Cemetery Avenue. Proceed through security gates, turn right at the end of the road and enter via the granite Memorial Gates on Cemetery Avenue.
Events & Announcements
Arriving soon thanks to the generous support by Latrobe City Community Grants funding four seating benches at a cost of almost $5000 for the comfort of visitors and relatives of loved ones at rest in Hazelwood Cemetery. We are very grateful for the continued of: Latrobe City, Bendigo Bank, Engie & Rotary whose sponsorships enables us to maintain the environment at Hazelwood Cemetery in its very pleasant condition.
Positive comments passed onto Chairperson Leo Billington and Secretary Gayle English recently:
From a vistor from Sydney, ex Morwell resident - Compliments and praise re the appearance of our cemetery especially the MANICURED lawn section.
Further simillar thoughts from a woman and her mother at Hazelwood Cemetery to view a family plot.
Comments such as these reflect the excellent ongoing maintenance at Hazelwood Cemetery by Groundsperson/Maintenance Peter Puttock-De Jong ably assisted by Chairperson Leon Billington as well as other Trust members from time to time.
We are pleased to anounce that our records are fully digitalised thanks to the wonderful efforts & skill of Jodie Duckworth of VIRTUAL ADMIN. These records may be accessed by the buttone
It is pleasing to announce that an extension to the Hazelwood Cemetery with almost 2000 burial sites has been drawn up. The extension known as K2 is to the south of the current cemetery. The area of land being generously provided by GDF Suez now known as ENGIE.
THE LONE PINE
"Nothing was as bad as Lone Pine" - Lieutenant General Leslie Morshead. Lone Pine veteran. Commander of the Australian 9th Division, 'Rats' of Tobruk.
The Battle of Lone Pine took place between August 6 and 10 in 1915 during the eight month Allied Gallipoli Campaign. Known as Plateau 400 or Lone Pine at Gallipoli, the fortified ridge position was marked by a single pine tree at the top.
Sgt. Keith McDowell of the Australian 23rd. Battalion retrieved a cone from the actual Lone Pine tree’s blasted branches. Sgt. McDowell carried the cone for the rest of the war and on his return to Australia gave it to his aunt at Grassmere near Warrnambool in Victoria.
In June 1933 a tree propagated from the cone was planted at the Shrine of Remembrance in the Kings Domain in Melbourne. This iconic Lone Pine lasted for decades but was removed in 2012 after storm damage and failed health.
April 2016 – tree provided to Hazelwood Cemetery